Affects of Coronavirus Pandemic to Food System
Among the Coronavirus pandemic's many economic victims is the food industry. As is too often the case, the most suffering is borne by the small artisan food producers and the restaurants they supply.
These same producers serving high end restaurants throughout the U.S. also grow, catch, forage, raise and produce the incredible foods available at To-Table.com.
The Plight of High End Restaurants and Their Food Sources
Of all the industries threatened by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, few have felt the impact as deeply and immediately as the hospitality industry. Eater reports that:
- in Seattle, at least 40 restaurants have closed permanently or temporarily;
- in New York, reservations are down 30 percent and cancellations are up 45 percent;
- and major restaurateurs like Tom Colicchio and Ravi DeRossi are comparing the impact to that of some of the country’s biggest natural disasters.
- In Denver, Westword reports, Chefs and restaurant owners are reporting that numbers have dropped in the past week, and some are wondering if closing temporarily or switching to delivery-only service might be a good short-term solution.
- Now, many/most restaurants around the country are closed to activities other than take out meals due to government response to slow the spread of the virus.
The economic effects are greater than just our restaurants. It affects our farmers. It affects our farmers' markets. It affects our producers. Everybody takes a hit in the hospitality industry
Help These Artisan Food Producers ... and Protect Yourselves
Without having to go to the grocery store and all the attendant risks that entails, you can help these producers in two ways:
- Order take out meals from these wonderful restaurants - most of whom will meet you on the sidewalk with your meal.
- Order the great foods produced by these small artisan producers who need your business, through To-Table, and they will be delivered directly to your door. Prepare the meals at home and enjoy social distancing on a new level.
A Little Eye Candy - Our Sources' Spectacular Products
To remind you of the creations of our sources, we have a few photos and descriptions below.
- Stone Crab Claws
- Fresh Seafood fillets (including halibut, tuna, yellow-fin, black cod and much more)
- Octopus (pulpo) or Sepia (cuttlefish)
- And other delicacies
- Sea Beans
- Wild Mushrooms (morels!)
- Spring lettuces
- Other delicacies
- Foie Gras
- Quail Poppers
- Gourmet Cheeses
- Grass Fed Buffalo
- Unique Burger Meats
- Artisan Sausages
- Premium All Natural Beef
- Colorado Lamb
- Several Types of Hams
- Elk and Venison
- Rabbit and Cabrito
- Wild Boar
- Baby vegetables (artichoke, courgette, white turnip, etc...)
- Exotic Fruits
- White Asparagus
- Frisee and other lettuces