Easy Appetizers with Caviar
Appetizers using caviar are often very simple recipes to make and the result is always a gourmet delight. It must be nice to be caviar and know that you are always a gourmet treat. Here are seven easy recipes using various types of caviar and roe.
Deviled Eggs with Peekytoe Crab and Caviar
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- Kosher salt
- 3 ounces peekytoe crab
Fill a large bowl with ice water. In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with water by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Cover and remove the pan from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and transfer to the ice water bath to cool completely. These can be made ahead - you can even seperate the yolk from the whites ahead as well - be sure to cover yolk bowl with tight fitting plastic wrap to ensure they do not dry out.
Peel and halve the eggs lengthwise. Transfer the yolks to a medium bowl and mash with the back of a spoon. Arrange the egg whites on a platter. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, shallot, 2 tablespoons of chives, the parsley, capers, thyme, vinegar and Tabasco to the bowl with the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Season with salt. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and fill the egg whites (or use a small spoon). Top each deviled egg with the crab and caviar and garnish with chives.
7 MINUTE SALMON SUSHI
Quick with surprising and delicious flavor
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded nori
- 36 mixed rice crackers
- 1/4 cup salmon caviar (To-Table Ingredient Here)
In a bowl, stir the cream cheese with the wasabi and nori. Transfer the mixture to a small sturdy plastic bag and snip off one corner. Pipe a small mound onto each rice cracker and top with a small dollop of the caviar. Serve right away.
Collusion and Fake News Oysters
Order Live Oysters (Fresh from Maine all year long)
Shuck the oysters. While you may want an oyster shucking knife, many people open them with blunt (butter- like) knives. Be sure to wear a heavy glove at least on the hand holding the oyster. Place one crushed ice in deep platter.
MINI BLINI NAPOLEON
Easy recipe. You may get concerned about making blinis, but think pancakes...not very hard. A spectacular treat.
Note: We offer a ready to serve package with 2 types caviar, Blinis and crème fraîche and mother of pearl serving spoons. - Find Here.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk, plus more as needed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/2 cups crème fraîche
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 ounces caviar (To-Table Ingredient Here)
- In a bowl, combine the water, yeast and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in the 1 1/2 cups of milk and the egg. Add both flours and the salt and whisk until smooth, then whisk in the 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Set a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat and brush with butter. Pour in a scant 1/3 cup of the batter and swirl to coat the pan. Cook the blini until tiny bubbles form on the surface and the bottom is browned, 2 minutes. Carefully flip the blini and cook until the bottom is lightly browned in spots, 30 seconds. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining batter, buttering the pan and whisking in 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk to thin the batter as needed. You should have about 13 blini. Let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the crème fraîche until stiff. Spread a thin layer of crème fraîche on 8 or 9 blini and stack them; top with a plain blini. Trim off the rounded edges of the stack and cut into 1-inch squares. Dip a layered side of each square into the chives and set them on a platter. Dollop caviar on top and serve.
Roasted Onion Dip
From Food and Wine, Tyler Florence, November 2015
- 2 medium unpeeled red onions
- 2 medium unpeeled Spanish onions
- 2 medium unpeeled sweet onions
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Salmon, trout and paddlefish caviar, for serving
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
- Your favorite herb seasoned potato chips for serving
Preheat the oven to 350°. Using a paring knife, trim the bottoms of the onions and stand them in a baking dish. Bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, until very soft. Let cool.
Using a paring knife, carefully cut 1/2 inch off the top of the onions. Using a small spoon, scoop out all but 2 or 3 layers of the roasted onions to form cups; you should have 21/2 cups of pulp. Finely chop the onion pulp and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, sour cream and onion powder and season the dip generously with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. Keep the onion cups at room temperature.
The onion cups and onion dip can be refrigerated separately overnight. Let the onion cups return to room temperature before filling them.
Spoon the onion dip into the onion cups and transfer to a platter. Top the dip with salmon, trout and sturgeon caviar and garnish with fennel fronds. Serve with Potato Chips.
Parmesan Crisps with Caviar and Crème Fraîche
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce Trout Roe
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
Line a half baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Drop 1-to-2 tablespoons of the shredded Parmesan onto the baking sheets into tiny mounds. Bake 5 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely and loosen with a spatula. Top each parmesan round with a dollop of crème fraîche and caviar. Serve immediately. To make the recipe even easier, buy pre-made Parmesan chips!
Salmon Roe and Cucumber
- English cucumber
- 8 tbs creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 -3 oz salmon roe caviar
- 4 fresh chives snipped
Slice cucumber into 1/4 inch slices. Spread creme fraiche or sour cream to each cucumber slice. Ad a generous dollop of salmon roe onto the top of each and finish with a small length or 2 of fresh chives. Enjoy a nearly carb free appetizer.