Wild Game Nacho Chili Bowl
By: Julie Golob, Field to Fork with Julie Golob
- 2T dried onions
- 1T olive oil
- 2 lbs. ground venison (Order Here)
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 24 oz of your favorite salsa verde
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
On medium high heat add olive oil to pan. Once hot add ground venison, onions and a pinch of salt. Let venison cook until brown.
Drain and rinse the cans of black beans and pour into a crockpot set on low. Add tomatoes and salsa. (I used one 16 oz jar of Pace Garlic & Lime Verde and 8 oz of La Victoria Thick ‘n Chunky Salsa Verde, medium heat.) If you want a little more kick, add red pepper flakes. Once the venison is browned pour into the crockpot.
Finish by adding the last pinch of salt, stir and leave on low for a couple of hours and until ready to serve.
Scoop into bowls filled with tortilla chips and top with Mexican cheese, avocado, jalapeños and sour cream (or plain greek yogurt).
Elk Chili Recipe
- 3 lb ground elk meat (Order Here)
- 4 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 4 cups homemade tomato sauce
- 4 cups tomatoes, diced
- 4 cup kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup green chilies, diced
- 4-6 TBS homemade chili powder
- 1 tsp homemade garlic powder
- 2 tsp homemade onion powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup homemade brown sugar, packed
- sliced jalapenos
- chopped green onion
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
In a large skillet fry the ground elk with onion and green pepper until browned. Drain off excess grease.
Pour the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans and green chilies into the skillet with the meat, and stir to blend. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and brown sugar. Cover, and simmer over low heat for at least one hour.
You can also mix this together in the morning and cook in the crock pot.
Western Chili Recipe
By Jim Zumbo (Amazing Venison Recipes cookbook)
- 2 pounds ground venison (Order Here)
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups whole tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans
Brown ground venison in oil in a Dutch oven until meat loses its pink color. Add onion, garlic, and green pepper. Cook for 5 minutes longer. Add chili powder, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and salt. Simmer for 2 hours. Add the flour paste and cook until mixture thickens. Add the kidney beans and cook another 15 minutes. Serve hot with French bread or hot biscuits. Serves 6 to 8.